Saturday, September 26, 2009

Special Moments


You know those moments as a parent when you're really proud of your kid..... moments like when they finally stop picking their nose in public or start remembering to flush the toilet -- those are neat moments. But then there are times when you're so proud, it takes the breath out of you. Moments that have nothing to do with grades or worldly success. Moments when you realize that she's not just your child.... but she's God's child too --- and you see Him in her.
Yesterday morning while getting ready for school, Jordan just out-of-the-blue asked me why parents allow their kids to run all over them. I said that people do what they know and if they know better they do better. I asked her why she was asking - had she been studying respect at church ? She said no that she had seen one of her classmates talk "really bad" to his mom. She said he didn't say " please or thank you" and was acting like a brat. I asked her how it made her feel. She said it made her feel embarrassed for the mom. (now I was proud at this -- glad to know that she saw the "wrong" in treating anyone in a demeaning way. But she didn't stop there.) She walked up to him calm, cool, and collected (she gets that from her dad) and asked why he talked to his mother that way. He paused and laughed and said "because she lets me". Jordan said, " Just because you can do something wrong doesn't mean you should."
I want to be bold like her when I grow up.

No comments: